**For some reason, I am unable to load pictures, so hopefully I will be able to do that later!
This morning we awoke to very warm, humid weather. Ugh. The plan for the day was to see the St. Louis Arch and then head to Bowling Green, KY. Originally, we had planned for a day full of activities.....the zoo, arch, river boat cruise, etc...., but the kids all decided that they would rather get to the next hotel early enough to play in the pool. So we nixed everything but the arch. If you've never been the the St. Louis Arch, it is a must see. I knew it was large, but the word "large" does not even start to explain the size of it! I have to admit, I was a little uneasy during the ride to the top and the little tram car would jerk to help straighten us out. But once we got to the top, it was amazing.
After spending a few hours at the Arch and the surrounding area, we were back on the road headed towards Bowling Green. About 45 minutes outside of BG, we came upon stopped traffic on the interstate. This actually happened just outside of St. Louis, the previous evening as well! We sat for about a half hour, not moving an inch and watching other cars go down into the median to turn around. I ended up calling my mom, who was able to find the KY DOT website, which said there was a car fire and the road would be closed for 2 hours! So our big plan to get to the hotel early, was quickly going down the toilet!! After another 20 minutes or so, we joined the other cars and turned around to find a different route. Unfortunately, the alternate route was a little two lane road....speed limit 55, with small towns every 10 miles or so. We ended up getting to BG around 8pm. Sigh. But the hotel room made up for it. I was able to get the room for free using my Goldpoints that I had saved. The kids were very excited. The warm, homemade chocolate chip cookies in the lobby were a big hit also! We ended up cooking a pizza (yep, the room had a full kitchen), swimming and watching some TV that evening. Bedtime was a little late. What are vacations for?? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment